Three Degrees of Burns: Spring is Grand

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Spring is Grand

We've had a fun and busy last couple of weeks. Easter was a great weekend. We started with a soccer game on Saturday morning, followed by an Easter egg hunt. Brandon found his five eggs quickly, so we rehid them many times to extend the fun.




Brandon is growing up so quickly. He loves building towers and animals with blocks. The picture is fuzzy but I didn't have a chance to take any more, as this block was the one that made the tower fall. I am so proud of his growing independence. In the last two weeks, he has taken a huge interest in the alphabet. I gave him a notebook and he sits and writes the alphabet over and over. He's getting really good. He is sounding out words and read three or four words on a flier today without my help.

He loves playing soccer and loves the warm up games we play, like red light green light and shark and fish. Once we start playing another team, he withdraws and loses interest in the game. He tells me it's because he's not fast enough to score a goal. I have been assuring him that if he plays hard and doesn't give up, that he'll score a goal. Well, he finally took my advice today (second to last game mind you) and kept after the ball. He was super aggressive, stole the ball from the other team a number of times, and prevented them from scoring two goals. One time that he stole it, he dribbled through the other team and almost scored a goal. It bounced off the inside of the goal and didn't go in. He gained more and more confidence as the game went on. He stole the ball again and instead of dribbling right up to the goal, he kicked it from a little ways back and SCORED!! He was so proud of himself and I was so proud of him. I know that he's good at soccer and I'm so happy he knows now too so he can enjoy the game like he should. Next week is our last game of the season and I now have mixed feelings. I initially didn't like coaching because of how much Brandon didn't enjoy the game. Today made it so fun and I would do it again if Brandon would have this attitude every week. I guess we'll see how it goes next week.

There was a news camera at our game from ABC news and filmed our team playing. The guy interviewed Brandon. He asked Brandon how he liked having his Mom as a coach and he said it's awesome! I don't know which clips will make the news, but it is supposed to air this Thursday. I will post the clip if it gets aired. One of parents knows the local sports anchor and he wanted to spotlight some "little sports stars." It will be a cute little piece to watch. I hope he got a clip of Brandon's goal :)


8 comments:

Audrey said...

Go Brandon!!! That is so awesome that he is learning and doing more in soccer. I hear it in your post though... don't do it Jess! Don't go to the dark side of being a soccer mom! Can't wait to see him on the news. Of course they will use him. That face!

Linda Clark said...

Way to go coach and way to go, Brandon. You guys better be on the news! He is growing up super fast.

Kristy Stoner said...

Brandon reads! Holy crap, he's getting so old! That is amazing! I love that he finally got agressive and enjoyed the game. It makes it all worth it!

Bree D. said...

Hooray for Brandon and scoring a goal, that is so exciting!! Don't let Audrey talk you out of soccer, he is already sooo good!!! :) That is funny that you re-hid the eggs over and over, sounds like some little girls I know, they must be related or something!

Kelly said...

Good job cute little Brandon!! That is so awsome, I'm glad he has seen his potential and is enjoying the game. I guess you'll have to coach next year now.

Clay's gal said...

Hey guys! We were in the same ward for awile. (In Kristin and Dave's Ward and I've known Sean for a long time) Anyways I stubbled across you blog and just thought I'd say Hi! To bad your not in our ward anymore! Just as we were getting to know you guys you moved.Bummer! Your little boy is a cutie!-----Lindsey Jeppsen
clay-gal.blogspot.com

Paulene Davis said...

Brandon is looking more and more like Sean every day. I remember soccer days with you. They are alot of fun. Congrats on being such great coaches. I watched Brandon's video. You have the making of a star. You should really feed him a good breakfast --just kidding.

Paulene Davis said...

A Star is Born!!! He is so darling and grown up with his haircut. I like cookies for breakfast and I like to wear my favorite color,