Three Degrees of Burns: Soccer Fun

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Soccer Fun

Soccer season started last Saturday, and what an eye opening experience! Sean is Brandon's coach and I am the assistant coach. Who knew that the other coaches and parents would be so intense about soccer for three and four year olds!?! Not us. We've been trying to keep things pretty laid back and it seems to be working for the most part.
Brandon really enjoys doing drills, but he doesn't like playing the actual game. At this level, the eight kids on the field all follow the ball around and even try to take it from their own team mates. Brandon just likes to dribble the ball from goal to goal and score. He doesn't like having to share the ball with the other kids, or being restricted to one goal. He hasn't been very enthused about soccer since our first game, and didn't even want to go today. I told him soccer is a really cool and fun sport. He did a little better today, probably because he knew what to expect. Tonight he said, "Mom, you're right. Soccer is a fun game!" I was relieved. Hopefully he'll keep up that attitude for next Saturday.
I don't have any real action shots, because Sean and I are on the field during the game. We have 12 kids on the team; I take six and Sean takes six and we play each other. We basically tell them not to touch it with their hands, to go toward the right goal, and to stay in bounds.
He smiled for this picture and then kicked the ball at my legs. He thinks he's hilarious.
Brandon loves having us as his coaches. I don't think we'll do it again, but it's fun for the time being. We're having our team pictures taken next Saturday at 6:45 a.m.. Is the sun even up that early? I guess we'll find out!

10 comments:

Audrey said...

Oh you are so brave! and Brandon looks darling! You know my nightmares with soccer and 4 year olds. I will not bore you. Yes, this is a religion for some people, but I know Brandon will get into it and have fun if you guys are the coaches. Nothing like starting the season by saying, "I don't think we will do this again." That's the spirit!

Linda Clark said...

Soccer in February? That's cool. Way to go for being the coaches, my Jef has been a soccer coach a long time for his boys because he, too, wants to instill fair play and the fact that everyone plays regardless of skill. But then again, 4 year olds? Yes, parents are a pain with the competitiveness. Keep up the good work, Brandon will appreciate it down the road.

Dad Davis said...

Bradon have your mom read this to you: Hi Brandon. It's Grandpa. Your shoes are really cool. It sounds like you are an awsome soccer player and it sounds like you know how to score goals. I hope that I get to see you play. I also hope that I get to see you soon. Love Grandpa

Paulene Davis said...

It looks like Brandon is having a wonderful time. It reminds me of you and all of your soccer experiences. I think it is fabulous that you and Sean are the coaches. You two make a great pair in everything that you do.

Bree D. said...

How fun for you guys!!! Brandon looks so cute in his uniform! Don't worry, Paul will send some of his competitive drive over to him, oh wait, I think you have some of that to give as well!!!

Kelly said...

I think it is great that you guys are coaching him right now. He is a really sporty kid and I bet he'll go far with soccer. Cute pictures!

Kathleen Gauger said...

Wow it is really hard to believe that your baby is old enough to be on a soccer team. I remember him just the other day, it seems at your apartment behind Target in Orem, as a little baby. Time flies doesn't it! XOXO

Nick and Terryn said...

What a stud, that Brandon is! It has been a long time since I have seen him, and I cant believe how big he is getting!

Sound like you guys have your hands full.... I would expect nothing less!

Nick

Kristy Stoner said...

-k- You have to take your video camera and record it. Or have someone else record it, cause I would love to see Brandon and you guys in action, trying to control all the kids! Ha! Wish I could be there to come and watch!

ashley said...

Oh soccer! You two are brave to be the coaches! That's awesome. I can't wait for wyatt to start playing sports, it will be great! Your family is so cute jess!